The Rains Fell

Posted on Updated on

rain-791893_640

Unless you are a castaway on a deserted island, you are well aware of the devastating flooding damage in my State of Louisiana. I do not make light of the tragedy. Those of us living north of the flooded area have been spared the great loss. Yet, we too have had rain nearly every day during this month of August. Our farmers have been unable to get in fields to harvest their crops.

We have had a different problem.

Our roof had leaks before the raining event. Suddenly, the problems worsened at a rapid rate. As I write, my husband is up on the roof making repairs. We need a trustworthy covering over our heads.

We can trust Jesus to meet our needs of security. He often spoke in parables. The following relates to humanity’s need to build our lives upon a firm foundation. Jesus is the Rock.

“Therefore, everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them will be like a sensible man who built his house on the rock. The rain fell, the rivers rose, and the winds blew and pounded that house. Yet it didn’t collapse, because its foundation was on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of Mine and doesn’t act on them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, the rivers rose, the winds blew and pounded that house, and it collapsed. And its collapse was great (Matthew 7:24-27 HCSB)!”

Houses and lives are apt to fall apart in storms. I might add that our roof came close to falling in.

6 thoughts on “The Rains Fell

Pam Ford Davis responded:
    August 29, 2016 at 9:13 pm

4 different kinds of covering are now on the roof!

Thanks, Dannie.

danniehawley said:
    August 27, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Wow! That must have been scary for you and challenging for Norm. Hope he could fix it, especially if the rain is going to continue for the rest of the month.

I loved the connection with Scripture in this post. Sound and relatable for all of us, especially for those in the States being ravaged by severe weather this year. Nicely done, Pam!

Website: http://www.goldennuggetsandsilvermusings.com Memoir blog: http://www.understandinggod.info

Pam Ford Davis responded:
    August 26, 2016 at 10:09 am

Thanks for following my blog and all of your encouraging words!
    Pam

Pam Ford Davis responded:
    August 26, 2016 at 10:09 am

We are fine Lou Jean, just tired of so much rain and thunderstorms. We had another big storm last night at bedtime. All the flooding was south of us. People describe it as like Katrina and like a war zone… The rains have been good for the gourd crop. Mother will likely harvest a bumper crop after the first frost. I have followed posts on AL helping in the flooded areas. Thank You!
    Wing His Words,
    Pam

Lou J. Cannon said:
    August 26, 2016 at 12:53 am

I’ve tried to keep up with your States disasters. My prayers as many others are with Louisiana. Brother Wayne Henderson has posted for all churches in our

Association to collect needed items and they will be delivered. I’ve shared his post for others and it will be in this Sunday’s bulletin.

Do you and Norm need anything? What about his mother’s crop of gourds?

We had a hot day for Julia’s Service and burial but as far as I know everyone made it okay. Radney’s had bottled water at the graveside. I LOVE YOU!!

Susan Tate Ferguson said:
    August 25, 2016 at 11:04 pm

This is such a good post, and I enjoyed reading it. The people in Louisiana will appreciate this devotional as well. Well done.